Natural Ink: The Biggest DIY Project I've Ever Done: A Very Old Wardrobe.

Monday, October 1, 2012

The Biggest DIY Project I've Ever Done: A Very Old Wardrobe.

Months and months ago
I went to Mississippi to meet up with my grandfather
to get some of my great-grandmother's furniture.
I spied this little (not really) gem of a wardrobe and had to have it.
We think it's close to 100 years old but no one knows for sure.
It was in decent condition but needed a lot of work
and what I had planned for it just had to happen.
Had to.
Yep.

-
Before: 
Definitely needed work. It was missing a leg and had to be propped up
with cinder blocks while I worked on it.


The bottom had holes in it (from what looked like mice)
so it had to go.







After it had a new, sturdy bottom I decided to add wheels
so it'd be easier to move in the future.


Next I sanded it down






And painted it white.



Then added an antique glaze to it.



And where an old mirror used to be I decided to skip replacing that and just used chalkboard paint and added new handles.




and ta-da!

A very lovely (if I do say so myself) completely redone wardrobe that can now stay in the family for much longer!

Before/After:


-

What's the biggest DIY you've done?

No comments: