Natural Ink: A Little Bit of Luck

Saturday, June 6, 2015

A Little Bit of Luck

Since Justin got here his main stressor has been a job. It took a month which, I think, was pretty quick considering the economy and the field he wanted, etc., but he thought that was too long. It was pretty cool how it all worked out. I'm a huge believer in "everything happens for a reason" and this seemed to be one of those moments.
First of all, you should know that Justin is a huge beer nerd. Like, huge. The boy knows everything about everything beer. Talking to him about beer is like talking to me about dogs. That conversation will go on for hours.
So, when he moved here he really wanted to work at a brewery or a beer shop and not go back into the food industry that he had been in back in California. So, he applied at a couple of breweries and had an interview at one but they hired someone else. He was really bummed about that so he found a local upscale bar that was hiring a lot of people. It was food industry, so he didn't really want to work there and I didn't want him to be stuck in a job he hated.
He interviewed there, they loved his resume and asked him in for a second interview. Meanwhile, I found a few more beer-related places he hadn't checked out yet. He went in for the second interview and, surprise, the guy had the day off - and forgot to call Justin.
So he left, pissed that he wasted his time because someone forgot to call him, and headed to one of the places I found, a bottle shop.
Enter...fate? Coincidence? Destiny? Whatever you want to call it.
The bottle shop had been opened for one month and the guys hadn't hired help yet. They were all pushing 80 hours a week and were in dire need of help. In fact, the next day they had planned to post that they were hiring.
They liked his resume, but what really sealed it was all his beer knowledge. Everyone there clicked, he absolutely loves the shop and today is his second day of training - work starts next week!

I just love how odd it all was. The timing, the lack of that second interview at the bar (which I know he would have taken and hated), the bottle shop in need of help, just everything. So amazing. So he has a job and so far it's perfect and he's super in love with it.


Meanwhile on my end, I never mentioned that I've been on trial basis with a publishing house doing reviews for the submission department. I found out the day after Justin got his job that they're keeping me on after the trial basis - so I have a job now, too! My income will be based on how many books I review and how long the books are, but it's something. It's in my field, I'm getting paid to read, I love it, and I'm making more than I was before this so I'm pretty excited.

Two jobs in two days - both jobs we wanted. So grateful!


Inspired by this LDR Writing Prompt: Defining Moment

No comments: