Natural Ink: Justin's Packing Tips

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Justin's Packing Tips

Welcome to another guest post by Justin! This time he's going to be talking about his packing experiences when he came to visit me before he moved here. I never visited him because I was so incredibly unwelcomed by just about everyone there, so I have no tips when it comes to packing for an LDR visit. This is his territory today.


When I first came to visit Brittany, I had never been on an airplane. I was terrified and had no idea how to pack. Some friends gave me good advice about how to travel so I did as they suggested and it was so much easier than what I had originally thought.

Tip 1: Make sure you have a duffel bag/suitcase that meets flight standards, especially if it's a carry-on. I only travel with 2 bags. One backpack that I can stow under the seat so I have easy access to it for medications, books, tablet, valuables, or whatever. The second is just for my clothes. Something I can just shove and smash into the overhead compartment to take up as little room as possible (or if you're checking it, you won't mind it getting beat up). The airline will usually have the dimensions posted somewhere online and when you get to where you check in, they have a nifty thing that you can set your bag in to see if it will fit in the overhead compartments or under your seat. If it's too big you'll have to check it, which I personally like just so I'm not lugging around a heavy bag of clothes between connecting flights.

Tip 2: Make a list of things you ABSOLUTELY need. Like medications, wallet, hygiene stuff, ect. Lists help a lot when packing. Lists are good. Lists are your friends.

Tip 3: Actually start packing. I highly suggest looking up a tutorial on how to pack in the most efficient way. You want to maximize your space. You'd be amazed at how much you can fit into a small duffel bag. Also be sure to not OVER-pack. You don't need to bring 8 outfits for a 3 day trip.

Tip 4: Bring something to keep you occupied on the plane. A book, crossword puzzle, video games, whatever. Flights can be boring. And if you're like me and don't want to talk to anyone sitting next to you, always have music to listen to. The chatty types usually won't bother you if you've got them on.

Tip 5: MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR TICKET IS AT ALL TIMES.

These steps won't be for everyone, but they can definitely help you. Packing light and efficiently makes traveling so much easier. Be nice to all staff and smile (even if you have to fake it like me) and it'll be a breeze. And if they offer to move you up to first class, DO IT. IT'S AMAZING.

Inspired by this LDR Writing Prompt: Packing

No comments: